Hey Friends Hey!
Ok... so let me be totally honest. I don't really know what to call this deliciousness! I've been calling it a cake pie thingy, but it deserves better! Much better really! So let's just call it a Berry Coffee Cake, ah! That'll work!
Welp, since we are home, self distancing; I'm trying not to panic. So instead, I'm baking. But... we're also trying to eat our perishable foods first and I had some berries that needed to be used. Because I'm limiting my added sugar intake, I opted to use date sugar. I mean... honestly, it's just dehydrated dates, so it's healthy right? Yup!
Ok... ok. Enough of me babbling. Just try it!
What you'll need:
1 cup all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
1 stick butter, softened
.5 cup date sugar or any sugar
5 oz plain greek yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange extract
1 pint of berries
2 tbsp butter, soften
1/4 c flour
1 tbsp date sugar/any sugar
Pinch of salt and cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep a deep dish pie plate with butter and flour or spray with non stick baking spray and set side.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add in eggs until well incorporated. Then add yogurt and extracts.
3. Add dry ingredients into wet mixture on well incorporated. Batter will be pretty thick.
4. Spoon batter into pie dish, using a spoon or spatula to smooth out the top.
5. Pour your berries on top of the cake batter and be sure to push them into the cake.
6. In a small bowl, mix together crumb mixture. Using your fingers to work the flour into the butter to make crumbles.
7. Sprinkle crumb topping on top of berries.
8. Bake in over for 30 minutes or until golden and set in thr middle.
9. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and eat warm!